2049 Meetinghouse Way
West Barnstable, Massachusetts 02668
Mander Organs Ltd.
London, England, 2005
Two manuals and pedal
Mechanical Key Action (suspended)
Electric Drawstop Action
White Quebec Pine case
Mahogany en fenętre console
8' Open Diapason
8' Chimney Flute
8' Dulciana (TC)
2 2/3' Twelfth
1 1/3' Mixture IV
8' Stopped Diapason
8' Celeste (TC)
4' Open Flute
2 2/3' Nazard
2' Block Flute
1 3/5' Tierce
8' Principal (Transmission from Gt)
8' Trumpet (Transmission from Gt)
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
With a significant historical building such as West Parish Meeting House, the introduction of a new organ needs to be done with extreme care.
None of these meeting houses had organs in their early years, so there was no model on which one might base a reconstruction.
Our broad aim was to create a case design such as an early to mid 18th century English immigrant organ builder might have envisaged for such a building.
There was only one place for the organ and that was on the gallery with most of the instrument contained within the space offered by the tower.
This dictated the overall size of the organ.
West Parish Meeting House has a very nicely executed reproduction pulpit, based closely on the few such pulpits which still exist.
The mouldings and general woodworking style was immediately recognisable as being appropriate for an organ case, so we used this as a starting point.
Of particular interest was the material to be used for the case.
There is much reference to “Pumpkin Pine” for the interiors of such early buildings in the New England area.
It would seem that the term does not refer to a specific species of tree, but to the colour of the pine once it has matured over some years.
A number of pine varieties seem to have attracted the term Pumpkin Pine and we used a variety indigenous to North America.
Not only the broad outline of the case design was subject to discussion and consultation, but the detail as well.
Much thought was given to the carving and it was felt by the Meeting House foundation that bas relief carving would be more appropriate than the usual pierced carving.
Designs were sent back and forth and ultimately motifs appropriate to the Meeting House and Cape Cod were settled upon.
The scrolling above the intermediate pipe “flats” is evocative of the waves of the sea, whilst the segmented tower shades feature the indigenous rosa rugosa.
For all the attempts to make the organ fit the building visually, it was felt that musically it had to address the requirements of a modern congregation.
This could have lead to a situation where the case design leads one to expect something completely different from the sounds emerging from inside it.
The importance of the eye in assessing the sound of an instrument is often underestimated.
Just as the eye prepares the pallet for a glass of wine, so should the eye prepare ones ears for the sound of an organ and certainly not mislead them.
A case of such characteristic design prepares the ears for something fairly specific, most significantly, the warm broad Open Diapason sound of English organs of the period (and those of some of the emigrant builders to the New World).
This style, therefore, forms the foundation on which the organ is developed.
Whilst stops appear which would probably not have featured in an organ of the early 18th century either in New or Old England, they find a place here but scaled and voiced in a style which would not have been foreign to the builders of that time.
The key action is suspended as the internal layout of the instrument and the accommodation of two large single rise bellows suggested that suspended action would work best.
Because of the construction of the meeting house, the organ is built around various beams and trusses of the Meeting House which presented some interesting problems in the design.
Some of these beams can be seen in the photograph and make photography difficult which is why the picture has been taken from such an unusual angle.
The drawstop action is electro-mechanical with a 64 level capture system for general and departmental pistons.
As can be seen from the specification, two stops are borrowed mechanically to the Pedal.
The requirements of a Pedal stop tend to be different from a manual stop and as in previous installations, a system was developed whereby the Open Diapason pipes in the lowest octave are fed with a little more wind when used for the Pedal Principal 8.
The Trumpet 8 does not have this facility because reed stops are too sensitive to differ any difference in winding to make that possible.
The partially completed organ was first used during the Sunday Worship on 13 February 2005, less than half the stops proving adequate enough to lead the congregational singing and for the postlude.
Plans are in hand for dedication recitals and the organ is intended to become another facet of the outreach programme of this growing congregation.
~ John Mander
Mander Organs Ltd.
The new West Parish Memorial Pipe Organ was featured on the cover of The Diapson in April 2005.
The new organ was featured in three local newspapers:
The Register...Getting Organ-ized on February 10, 2005
The Barnstable Patriot...West Parish pipes aboard its grand new organ on February 17, 2005
The Cape Cod Times...Heavenly Sounds on February 20, 2005
The Barnstable Patriot...West Parish's instrument dedicated by NY Philharmonic's organist on July 1, 2005
The church dedication of the new organ took place on Sunday, April 24, 2005 on "Music Sunday".
Barbara Owen acted as the consultant and the dedicatory recital was performed by Kent Tritle on Friday, June 24, 2005 at 7:30 p.m.
Pictures of the installation and the organ project can be found at: www.westparishmemorialfoundation.org
Harold G. Andrews, Jr.
Centerville, Massachusetts, 1958
Three manuals and pedal
Electro-pnuematic and Electro-mechanical Key and Stop Action
8' Bell Gamba
8' Stopped Diapason
4' Rohr Flote
2' Block Flote
4' Spitz Flote
2' Super Oktav
4' Rohr Schalmei
Positiv to Great
Positiv to Great Sub
Swell to Great
4' Koppel Flote
2 2/3' Nazard
1 3/5' Terz
1 1/3' Larigot
Swell to Positiv
16' Prinzipal Bass
16' Sub Bass
16' Quintaton (Great)
4' Choral Bass
4' Nacht Horn
Rausch Quinte II
16' Dulzian (Great)
8' Posaune (ext)
4' Rohr Schalmei (Great)
2' Rohr Schalmei
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Positiv to Pedal
General Pistons (and studs) 1,2,3,4
Swell Pistons 1,2,3,4
Great Pistons 1,2,3,4
Positiv Pistons 1,2,3,4
Pedal Studs 1,2,3,4
Great to Pedal Reversible (piston and stud)
Sforzando Piston (only)
The Andrews organ was featured in The Standard Times...Barns, Labor, Time Given to Organ on August 21, 1957
Excerpts from the article:
WEST BARNSTABLE - The West Parish Meetinghouse, now in the process of being restored to look as it did when built in 1717, will also have an 18th Century style organ to provide for its musical needs.
That is being seen to by a young Cape musician, Harold G. Andrews, Jr. of Centerville, who for the last two years has been working and striving to construct an instrument befitting the historical edifice which it will serve.
The 17th and 18th were the great centuries of organ building." Mr. Andrews said as he told of the differences between modern-day instruments and those of that period.
We are trying to make this organ appropriate to a building of that period."
This has required, during the two-year period, correspondence with German organ-builders - the masters of their craft - detailed plans and specifications prepared by young Andrews and spreading-out of the work among barns and workshops on Cape Cod, all of which have been donated by their owners.
All of the work has been and is on a volunteer basis, and all money has been raised by means of a series of recitals by Cape and other musical artists, who have performed in Sunday night series at the Meetinghouse for the last three Summers.
First fruits of their labors are expected to blossom at the end of this Summer, when the organ's swell division - one of four, including a pedal organ, to be part of the instrument - will be installed and ready for use.
"The progress of the restoration has made it imperative that we have a playable instrument as soon as possible," Mr. Andrews said.
When completed, it is expected the organ will be one of the largest in the State.
It will have 50 ranks and more than 3,000 pipes, with accompanying valves and magnets.
The pipework, with the exception of five ranks being salvaged from the organ in the old church - which was built in 1907 - is coming from Germany, where it is being built by the well-known German organ-builder, Carl Giesecke of Gottingen.
It was built following considerable correspondence between young Andrews and Wilhelm Furtwangler, an official of the Giesecke
Fountain of , Oberlin Conservatory of Music, under whom young Andrews studied while at the Ohio school and from which he was graduated this year, was the original intermediary and also was consulted in the plans.
Meanwhile, the cabinet-making phase of the work is being done by Stan Van Riper of Yarmouthport, a member of the parish, who has volunteered his services.
He is in charge of construction of cabinet work on the console.
The keyboards and valves have been fashioned by the Reisner Corporation of Maryland.
Meanwhile, holes are being drilled in the windchest, in which all of the numerous valves must be fitted.
M.P. Moller, Inc.
Hagerstown, Pennsylvania, Opus 731, 1907
One manual and pedal
Manual compass: 61 notes (cc to c)
Pedal compass: 30 notes (ccc to f)
Mechanical (tracker) Action
8' Open Diapason
8' Melodia Treble
8' Melodia Bass
4' Flute Treble
4' Violina Bass
Manual to Pedal Coupler
Manual to Octave Coupler
Balanced Swell Pedal
The contract was signed on the 23rd day of November, 1906 with the cost of the organ at $600.
The organ was shipped to the church on June 2, 1907 and consigned to the Rev. G.A. Sherajan.
Source: Mander Organs Ltd., London, England
Stephen L. Pinel, The Organ Historical Society Archives, East Windsor, New Jersey
Sarah E. Bach
Organ of the United States and Canada Database (OUSCDB), Seattle, Washington
West Parish Congregational Church, West Barnstable, Massachusetts