162 Main Street
East Orleans, Massachusetts 02643
E. & G.G. Hook & Hastings
Boston, Massachusetts, Opus 1689, 1896
Renovated and enlarged by Andover Organ Company
Methuen, Massachusetts, 1980
Two manuals and pedal
Slider chests, Mechanical Key Action
Pedal electrified by Lahaise
12 stops, 7 ranks
8' Open Diapason
8' Stopped Diapason
4' Open Flute
1 1/3' Quint
Swell to Great Unison
Swell to Great Super
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
The E. & G.G. Hook & Hastings organ stands in the northeast corner of the sanctuary, where it was installed in the spring of 1896 and dedicated on June 20, 1896.
Built by Hook & Hastings of Boston, a major producer of pipe organs in the 19th century, it was their Opus 1689, and has served the congregation continuously since its installation.
Small by its standards, this mechanical action tracker instrument has two manuals, or keyboards, each with 61 notes, and a pedal board of 27 notes.
Designed as a very basic instrument, it had seven ranks of pipes which produced a mellow sound typical of late Victorian church organs.
In 1980 the Andover Organ Company of Methuen, Massachusetts, undertook a complete renovation of the instrument, revoicing all of the existing pipework, adding one new rank of pipes, bringing the total to eight ranks.
The result was dramatic.
The sound which had been mellow was replaced by a group of brighter voices, typical of organs dating from the 1700's.
The centennial organ recital was performed by Michael Kleinschmidt on August 4, 1996.
Source: The Federated Church of Orleans, East Orleans, Massachusetts