Church of the Transfiguration
Rock Harbor, Orleans, Massachusetts 02653

1971-present
2000-present


The 66 rank instrument is a restoration and
expansion of E.M. Skinner Organ components
dating between 1907-1939. The current
installation was completed in June 2003
by Nelson Barden & Associates, Boston, Massachusetts, Opus 762.
Four manuals and pedal
Electro-Pneumatic Key and Stop Action
6 divisions, 88 ranks, 84 stops


Organ Specifications

GREAT

16' Violone
8' First Diapason
8' Second Diapason
8' Gemshorn
8' Gemshorn Celeste
8' Flute Harmonique
4' Octave
4' Harmonic Flute
2' Fifteenth
IV Willis Mixture
16' Posaune
8' Cornopean
4' Clarion
Tremolo

SWELL

16' Bourdon
8' Diapason
8' Bourdon
8' Rohrflute
8' Salicional
8' Voix Celeste
8' Flauto Dolce
8' Flute Celeste
4' Octave
4' Triangle Flute
IV Willis Mixture
16' Waldhorn
8' Trumpet
8' Oboe d'Amour
8' Vox Humana
4' Clarion
Tremolo

CHOIR

16' Erzähler
8' Small Diapason
8' Concert Flute
8' Lieblich Gedeckt
8' Cello
8' Cello Celeste
8' Viola
8' Viola Celeste
8' Erzähler
8' Erzähler Celeste
8' Aeoline II
4' Principal
4' Flute
2 2/3' Nazard
2' Piccolo
1 3/5' Tierce
III-IV Low Mixture
III High Mixture
16' Heckelphone
8' Heckelphone
8' English Horn
8' Flugelhorn
8' Clarinet
Tremolo
8' Tuba Mirabilis 22"

PROCESSIONAL I

16' Lieblich Gedeckt
8' Second Diapason
8' Erzahler II
8' Gross Flute
8' Clarabella
4' Principal
4' Harmonic Flute
IV Mixture A-4
Tremolo

PEDAL

32' Open Wood Extension
32' Erzähler (Ch)
16' Violone (Gt)
16' Bourdon (Sw)
16' Lieblich Gedeckt (Pr)
16' Erzähler (Ch)
8' Violone (Gt)
8' Bourdon (Gt)
8' Lieblich Gedeckt (Pr)
8' Erzähler (Ch)
4' Erzähler (Ch)
16' Posaune (Gt)
16' Waldhorn (Sw)
16' Heckelphone (Ch)
8' Posaune (Gt)

COUPLERS

Inter and intra-Manual
Couplers
at 16', 8' and 4'
SSL Memory System
- 256 Levels

CONSOLE

Restored 4 manual console
from E.M. Skinner,
Opus 792, 1929

PROCESSIONAL II

8' Principal Diapason
8' Gamba Celeste II
8' Orchestral Flute
8' Chorus Trumpet
8' French Horn Tremolo
8' Tuba Major
8' Trumpet Militaire

Courtesy of the Community of Jesus; © Community of Jesus

Installed just below the ceiling of the forward side aisles of large new concrete Byzantine style church. Movable console with drawknobs with flat angled vertical jambs. The organ was dedicated on June 17, 2000. James Jordan Jr., David Chalmers and SharonRose Pfeiffer performed the dedicatory recital. The installation of the Processional Division was completed by Nelson Barden & Associates in June 2005. The processional divisions are contained in pipe chambers cantilevered along the side aisle upper walls. A special celebratory summer organ series featuring Thomas Murray, Anthony Newman and Gerre Hancock occured in June, July and August 2005.

Courtesy of the Community of Jesus; © Community of Jesus As shown in the diagram to the left, the design places the organ pipes in chambers along the long north and south side aisles (instead of the traditional east or west end wall placement) enveloping the listener in sound from front to back and causing the entire building to "sing." The yellow areas indicate the organ chambers.


Original Location of Pipework and Other Components
(Skinner Opus Numbers)

Opus 140 Cleveland, Ohio - Trinity Cathedral, Episcopal - 1906
Opus 179 Holyoke, Massachusetts - Second Congregational Church, Skinner Memorial Chapel - 1909
Opus 296 Savannah, Georgia - Independent Presbyterian - 1919
Opus 310 Shaker Heights, Ohio - Plymouth Church of Shaker Heights - 1923
Opus 324 Holyoke, Massachusetts - Victory Theater - 1920
Opus 417 Chicago, Illinois - Congregation Kehilath Anshe Mayriv - 1923
Opus 655 Rochester, New York - St. Paul's Episcopal Church - 1927
Opus 711 Rochester, New York - Masonic Temple, Auditorium - 1928
Opus 762 East Orange, New Jersey - First Presbyterian - 1929
(including pipes from Opus 991 - New York, NY - Broadway Tabernacle)


Information about the Skinner organ can be found at: http://www.communityofjesus.org/transfig/pages/organ.htm



Joe Sloan of Nelson Barden and Associates installs some duct work for the Processional Division. (Courtesy of The Community of Jesus; © 2004 Orleans Church Building Foundation, Inc.) Installation of the processional division (Courtesy of The Community of Jesus; © 2004 Orleans Church Building Foundation, Inc.)



Hook & Hastings, Boston, Massachusetts, Opus 1823, 1899
Renovated by Andover Organ Company, Methuen, Massachusetts, 1975
Rebuilt by Andover Organ Company, Methuen, Massachusetts, 1983

Two manuals and pedal
Slider chests, Mechanical Key and Stop Action
3 divisions, 17 ranks, 16 stops

Orginally located at the Unitarian Church (became The Federated Church) in Sandwich, Massachusetts. Located in the front right corner. Flat case is a 3 diagonal shape with a projecting console. Console has drawknobs and straight stepped jambs. Electrified by LaHaise. Organ was moved from the former Unitarian Church, Sandwich, Massachusetts to the Community of Jesus, Orleans, Massachusetts in 1971. Andover Organ Company added 10 ranks of pipes in 1983. This organ is located in the Chapel.


Source: Andover Organ Company, Methuen, Massachusetts
           Cape Cod Chapter, American Guild of Organists
           Community of Jesus, Orleans, Massachusetts
           Organ Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia
           Organs of the United States and Canada Database (OUSCDB), Seattle, Washington