2 Centre Street
Nantucket, Massachusetts 02554



Thomas Appleton
Boston, Massachusetts, 1831
Enlarged by E. & G.G. Hook
Boston, Massachusetts, Opus 241, 1858
Restored by E. & G.G. Hook
Boston, Massachusetts, 1893
Rebuilt and altered by Ross Abel, 1968
Restored by Andover Organ Company
Methuen, Massachusetts, 1985
Returned Viol d'Amour

enlarged from One manual to
Two manuals and Pedal
Slider chests
Mechanical Key and Stop Action
3 divisions, 14 ranks, 17 stops

Organ Specifications

GREAT

8' Open Diapason Treble
8' Open Diapason Bass
8' Viol d'Amour
8' Dulciana
8' Stopped Diapason Treble
8' Stopped Diapason Bass
4' Principal
4' Flute
2 2/3' Twelfth
2' Fifteenth

SWELL

8' Open Diapason
8' Viol di Gamba
8' Stopped Diapason
8' Stopped Diapason Bass
4' Principal
8' Hautboy

PEDAL

16' Sub Bass

COUPLERS

Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Bellows Signal
Hitch-down swell pedals
Two great combination pedals

Courtesy of Sarah E. Bach;  Sarah E. Bach

A recital took place on July 21, 1989. It has one of the five known extant Thomas Appleton pipe organs, the only one in continual play since its construction in 1831, taken to Nantucket by the W.G. Nettleton packet ship in 1858. In 1893, the Hook brothers moved the organ from the rear of the church (gallery) to the front and added a swell division. In 1985, Andover Organ Company reversed the changes made by Ross Abel in 1968. Work was directed by Robert Newton. Original location uncertain, perhaps 1 manual listed for the Second Unitarian Church of Dorchester, Massachusetts.


Source: The Nantucket Community Music Center, Nantucket, Massachusetts
            Organ Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia
            Organs of the United States and Canada Database (OUSCDB), Seattle, Washington
            New England Conference of the United Methodist Church
            Sarah E. Bach