3 Federal Street
Nantucket, Massachusetts 02554
M.L. Bigelow & Company, Inc. Organ Builders
American Fork, Utah
Opus 28, 2001
Two manuals and pedal: 58/30 notes
3 divisions, 12 Voices: 16 Stops, 16 Ranks
Mechanical Stop Action
"Suspended" Mechanical Key Action
Manual I: GREAT
4' Chimney Flute
Manual II: SWELL
4' Chimney Flute
2 2/3' Nazard
1 1/3' Quinte
8' Flute Bass (ext)
8' Posaune (ext)
COUPLERS & ACCESSORIES
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Keys of boxwood and ebony. For stops with pitches listed under both manuals, drawing a stop on one manual automatically cancels it from the other manual.
Mechanically operated swell shades enclose all manual stops except Pręstant.
Solid quarter-sawn white oak case 14' tall. Blower and bellows contained in lower case.
Projecting console with drawknobs and flat case sides. Neo-classic casework based on a Hook organ.
The organ was featured in Nantucket's The Inquirer & Mirror...Organ Transplant on Thursday, September 21, 2001.
Dr. James David Christie, who acted as consultant, played the dedication recital on Sunday, November 25, 2001.
A highlight of the program was a new "Toccata, Adagio, and Fugue" by Boston College professor Thomas Oboe Lee, commissioned for the occasion by Father Paul Caron, rector of St. Mary's Parish.
Pictures of the installation and the organ project can be found at:
G.W. Reed & Son, West Boylston, Massachusetts, 1911
Two manuals and pedal
Tubular-Pneumatic Key and Stop Action
3 divisions, 10 ranks, 11 stops
Projecting console with drawknobs and straight stepped jambs.
Electrified in 1961 by Laws 2-10 EP. Removed in 1998 by M.L. Bigelow & Company, Inc.
In 1999, the organ was given and used as parts to build a new pipe organ for Saint Cecilia Parish (Roman Catholic) in Boston, Massachusetts.
The Smith & Gilbert NOBSCOT organs were voiced by Theodore Gilbert and retailored by Timothy E. Smith along with Southfield Organ Builders of Springfield, Massachusetts.
E. and G.G. Hook, Boston, Massachusetts, 1868
Mechanical Key and Stop Action
This organ was installed second hand sometime in the 1870's.
It has a projecting console with drawknobs and straight stepped jambs.
This organ was removed by 1911.
Source: M.L. Bigelow & Company, Inc. Organ Builders, American Fork, Utah
Organ Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia
Organs of the United States and Canada Database (OUSCDB), Seattle, Washington
Sarah E. Bach