565 Main Street
Centerville, Massachusetts 02363



1894-WWIIWWII-19731973-present


Rebuilt unit organ installed, Opus SC-41, by
Berkshire Organ Company, Inc., West Springfield, Massachusetts, Opus 76, 1973


Two manuals and pedal
3 divisions
Electro-Pneumatic Key and Stop Action
Manuals Compass: 61 notes
Pedal Compass: 32 notes
9 stops, 11 ranks, 673 pipes

Organ Specifications

GREAT DIVISION (on the Gallery Rail)

8' Prinzipal
8' Metallgedeckt
4' Octav
4' Gedeckt
2' Flote
1 1/3' Mixtur III ranks
Swell Sub
Swell
Swell Super

Swell Division (Shuttered)

8' Bordun
4' Koppelflote
2' Prinzipal
1 1/3' Quintflote
1' Sifflote
Tremelo
Swell Super


Pedal Division

16' Subbass
8' Prinzipal (en-façade)
8' Gedecktbass
5 1/3' Quintbass
4' Choralbass
Great
Swell


Combination Action:

3 General Pistons
3 Great Pistons
3 Swell Pistons
3 Pedal Toe-Studs

Accessories

Organo Pleno Reversible, Toe Stud
Great to Pedal Reversible, Toe Stud
Full Organ Reversible, Toe Stud
Swell and Crescendo Expression Shoes
All solid-state control and ago dimensions
Stop key control with setter board
Chimes



The previous organ built installed after WWII required replacement by 1970 and the Andrews’ company no longer being in business, the church commissioned the Berkshire Organ Company, Inc. of West Springfield to build another new organ using pipes from the Andrews project and, again, the old case. The case was slightly cut down and a new console installed approximately where the original had once been. The second manual’s pipes were placed on a projection from the gallery rail behind the organist, with the Pedal pipes returned to the façade, now made functional again with the original Stevens’ pipes and within the case.

The design of the new instrument was made by David W. Cogswell, President and Artistic Director of Berkshire, with assistance from Philip O. Buddington, an organist and former member of the church. The organ is fitted with co-axial electric actions, controlled by solid-state switching and coupling. The tonal design is classic North German, a plan chosen insure maximum versatility and suitability for accompaniment of hymns and service music for the Congregational Church.

Chimes were added in 1973 by the Berkshire Organ Company.



Andrews Organ Company
Essex, Massachusetts, after WWII

Two manuals and pedal
Mechanical Key and Stop Action

After WWII, the Andrews Organ Company of Essex, Ma removed the original organ and substituted a new instrument, partly contained within the Stevens case and partly displayed in the open at the south end of the gallery. This organ required replacement by 1970 and the Andrews’ company no longer being in business, the church commissioned the Berkshire Organ Company, Inc. of West Springfield to build another new organ using pipes from the Andrews project and, again, the old case.




Builder Unknown
One manual?
Mechanical Action

The history of organs at South Church has not been determined, but the existence of the very fine casework with it’s facade pipes reveals that an organ was built for the church near the middle of the 19th century, perhaps with but one manual and definitely with mechanical action. It is believed this organ would have been built in 1894.


Source: Organs of the United States and Canada Database
           Berkshire Organ Company, Springfield, MA
           Pamela Wannie
           South Congregational Church, Centerville, MA



View Larger Map