37 Sandwich Road
Bourne, Massachusetts 02532


Courtesy of Bourne United Methodist Church;  Bourne United Methodist Church

Estey Organ Company, Brattleboro, Vermont, Opus 1149, 1913

Rebuilt by Bishop Organ Company, Arlington, Massachusetts, 1993

Two manuals and pedal
3 divisions
Electro-Pneumatic Action

Organ Specifications

GREAT

8' Open Diapason
8' Melodia
4' Octave
Mixture III

SWELL

8' Stopped Diapason
8' Oboe/Bassoon
8' Salicional
4' Chimney Flute
2 2/3' Nazard (TC)
2' Piccolo
1 3/5' Tierce (TC)
Tremolo

PEDAL

16' Bourdon

COUPLERS

8' Great to Pedal
8' Swell to Pedal
8' Swell to Great
4' Swell to Great

In 1993, the Bishop Organ Company installed a mechanical action organ reusing some of the pipes and case from the Estey organ.

The Bishop Organ was installed in the Bourne United Methodist Church in June, 1993. The majority of the instrument came from what is believed to be a John Sole organ (ca. 1893, Reading, MA). This was purchased through the auspices of the Organ Clearing House (Harrisville, NH). It was in private ownership, having been removed from the former Cortland Street Congregational Church in Everett, MA. The Sole portions of the organ include the original windchests, key action, most of the pipe work, and the speaking facade pipes. The reservoir, Melodia, Stopped Diapason, Bourdon, casework and non-speaking facade pipes came from the Bourne Church's retired Estey organ (1913). The Oboe and Nazard came from a Hutchings and a Hook & Hastings organ respectively. The Mixture III probably came from a Laws organ. The latter two sets of pipes and the Estey bench were supplied by the Organ Clearing House. ~ excerpt from the Dedicatory Recital Program of the Bishop Organ

The Methodists and Congregationalists worshipped in the same house for a time, but jealousies arose and this dual worship ceased. The first Methodist Episcopal church building at Bourne was erected in 1831, Captain Ellis M. Swift being the principal mover; he built the church and received for the thirty-four pews enough to pay him. This house was enlarged at a cost of $1,218 in 1843. and was owned by individual pew-owners for the next forty years, but in 1883 it was made free. The church society is strong and prosperous. ~ excerpt from www.capecodhistory.us/Deyo/Bourne


Source: Organs of the United States and Canada Database
           Brittany Haskell
           Organ Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia
           www.esteyorgan.com/opuslist.html
           www.capecodhistory.us/Deyo/Bourne
           PHOTO: Bourne United Methodist Church




View Larger Map